An Occurrence at Dead River Falls, 11x14 inches, acrylic on board.
Created for Distinction Gallery’s, Put A Bird On It show, curated by Aaron Jasinski.
© Primary Hughes
I documented many of the steps for my contribution (“Herman Blume,” 8x10 inches, mixed media) to Spoke Art Gallery's “Bad Dads IV” Wes Anderson Tribute show. This is a technique made famous by the incredible CF Payne. You can see a video of his process here.
List of supplies:
• Prismacolor Colored Pencils (CF Payne does a lot with just a burnt sienna, but find something that works for you)
• Acrylic paint
• Acrylic Matte medium to seal the board or apply acrylic glazes as needed
• Acrylic and watercolor brushes (personal preference)
• Watercolors (Winsor & Newton Professional grade)
• Oil paint (dioxazine violet & permanent green light - though the colors can be changed as appropriate for the piece, these mix to a gray or neutral violet shadow color)
• Gamsol odorless mineral spirits to mix with the oil paint for a nice fluid oil wash
• Glass jar with lid to store mineral spirits
• Glass palette on which to mix paint
• Wide brush to apply oil wash (can even be a cheap chip brush from a hardware store)
• Suede-matte® retouch to seal oil wash and prepare the surface for colored pencils
* It’s important to work in an area that is well ventilated during the oil wash and lacquer spray stages. The fumes can be dangerous to your health.
My contribution, “Herman Blume,” 8x10 inches mixed media portrait of Bill Murray for Spoke Art Gallery's “Bad Dads IV” a tribute to the films of Wes Anderson.
Check out the great work from over 100 artists from around the globe. November 1st – November 23rd.
"The RoleModels exhibition is a fantasy portrait show, highlighting artist’s personas, role-playing characters, and sharing more about themselves through their choice of weapon, talent, or epic legend. This show features the work of 99 artists, illustrators, games designers, and concept artists.”
Illustration by Primary Hughes ©2013
Inspired by Neil Gaiman’s, The Graveyard Book.
Illustration Master Class 2013.
Photos of me by Irene Gallo.